Frequently Asked Questions
• What can I bring to the Museum?
The Staten Island Museum limits items that can be brought into the building or checked at the Visitor Services desk. Visitor Services reserves the right to reject items that do not appear on the following list. To avoid disappointments or delays when visiting the Staten Island Museum, please leave items described below at home so that you may comfortably enjoy your time with us.
Not permitted in the Museum:
• Luggage (All sizes)
• Luggage carriers (including pet carriers)
• Garment bags
• Oversized camping backpacks
• Prepared foods
• Musical Instruments
• Amplified Music
• Chemicals or other hazardous materials
• Live Animals (Assistance providing animals are permitted)
Not permitted in galleries
Must be left at Visitor Services desk:
• All bags larger than 13” x 13” (30.5 x 30.5 cm)
• Shopping Bags
• Double Baby strollers
• Bottled water (screw on caps only)
We recommend that patrons entering the building with items deemed of high value (wallets, personal identification, passports, laptops, etc.) carry them on their person.
For visitors requiring use of laptops, case size limitations apply.
*Only bottled water with screw on caps may be checked in at Visitor Services. Other beverages are not allowed and must be disposed of before entering the Museum.
• What are the smoking regulations?
The Staten Island Museum is a tobacco-free environment. This includes exterior spaces.
• Is there a group rate?
Groups of 10 or more are asked to make a reservation. Please call 718.727.1135 to secure your date and time.
• Can I bring my cellphone into the Museum?
The use of cellphones is not permitted in the galleries, please turn your phone to silent.
• Is this a hands-on Museum?
Unless expressly stated, please do not touch the exhibit installations.
• Can I lead a tour group through the Museum?
To avoid disturbing other patrons, group lectures are not permitted unless scheduled through the education department. Please contact the education department about curator led tours 718.727.1135 (x103)
• Can I sketch pieces in the Museum?
Sketching in pencil (only) is permitted in the galleries. The use of ballpoint pens, ink, markers, or paint is not allowed. Sketch books must not exceed 8.5x11” (21.5 x28 centimeters).
• Can I bring my camera into the Museum?
Non-flash photography of the Museum’s permanent collection for personal use is allowed. Visitors may not use video cameras, tripods or lights. The use of flash is not permitted at any time.
Photography of loaned collections is strictly prohibited.
Reproduction or sale of any photographs is not permitted without express permission from the Staten Island Museum. Please contact the Exhibition Department 718.727.1135 (x107)
For press and special photography permissions, contact the Public Relations & Marketing Department 718.727.1135 (x117).
• Is there a baby changing station?
Yes, there is a changing station located in the Women's restroom on the ground level.
• Can I visit the Museum store without paying Museum admission?