Collections: History Archives & Library
The Old Britton House New Dorp Beach, Staten Island, N.Y.
A postcard with a photograph, taken by William J. Grimshaw, of the west side of Britton Cottage. when it was located on the corner of New Dorp Lane and Cedar Grove Avenue. English Ivy is covering the side of the house. The building was moved to Historic Richmond Town in 1967. According to Historic Richmond Town, the orginal section of the cottage was completed c. 1670 with additions made in c. 1755, 1765, and 1800. It may have served as Staten Island's first government building in the 17th Century. Nathaniel Lord Britton, a botanist and one of Staten Island Museum's founders, owned and lived in the house from 1895 into 1915.
Artist: William J. Grimshaw (1854 - 1931)
Dates: 20th Century
Dimensions: 3.5" W x 5.5" H
Signature/Inscription: Front: The Old Britton House New Dorp Beach, Staten Island, N.Y. Publ by W.J. Grimshaw; Reverse: Post Cards of Quality.--The Albertype Co., Brooklyn, N.Y.
Accession Number: WTD 3014A
Credit: Gift of William T. Davis