Collections: History Archives & Library
New Brighton from New York Bay
A line engraving by John A. Rolph (1799 - 1862) of a painting by John Gadsby Chapman (1808 - 1889). The engraving first appeared in Volume 1 of the Richmond County Mirror in July 1837. The engraving was used again in The Rover in 1844 under the title New Brighton in the Vicinity of New York. The so-called Greek temple houses along Richmond Terrace, the Pavilion Hotel, the ferry dock at the foot of York Avenue, and the single building of the Sailors’ Snug Harbor are easily recognized. Only a few residences can be seen upon Brighton Heights.
Artist: John A. Rolph (1799 - 1862)
Medium: Engraving on paper
Dates: July 1837
Accession Number: 50-228
Credit: From the Collection of Staten Island Museum.