Collections: History Archives & Library
Britton Cottage, New Dorp Lane
A post card with a photograph, taken by Percy Loomis Sperr, of the Britton Cottage when it was located at the intersection of New Dorp Lane and Cedar Grove Avenue in New Dorp, Staten Island. Two women and a man are walking next to the cottage. The building was moved to Historic Richmond Town in 1967. According to Historic Richmond Town, the orginal section of the cottage was completed c. 1670 with additions made in c. 1755, 1765, and 1800. It may have served as Staten Island's first government building in the 17th Century. Nathaniel Lord Britton, a botanist and one of Staten Island Museum's founders, owned and lived in the house from 1895 into 1915.
Artist: Percy Loomis Sperr (1889 - 1964)
Dimensions: 3.5" H x 5.5" W
Signature/Inscription: Front: Britton Cottage New Dorp Lane; Reverse: P.L. Sperr, 1924 Britton Cottage New Dorp Lane
Accession Number: WTD 3013
Credit: Gift of William T. Davis