Collections: History Archives & Library
An Old Time Residence. Staten Island, N.Y.
A postcard with a sepia-toned photograph, taken by William J. Grimshaw, of the Britton Cottage when it was located at the intersection of New Dorp Lane and Cedar Grove Avenue in New Dorp, Staten Island. English Ivy is covering the side of the house. The building was moved to Historic Richmond Town in 1967. According to Historic Richmond Town, the orginal section of the cottage was completed c. 1670 with additions made in c. 1755, 1765, and 1800. It may have served as Staten Island's first government building in the 17th Century. Nathaniel Lord Britton, a botanist and one of Staten Island Museum's founders, owned and lived in the house from 1895 into 1915.
The reverse side of the card has an inscription that states: This property, patented to Obadiah Holmes by Governor Edmond Andros in 1677, transferred in 1695 to Nathaniel Britton and Elizabeth Britton, was deeded to The Staten Island Institute of Arts and Sciences by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Elizabeth Gertrude Britton in 1915. Now occupied by the S. Id. Chapter of the D.A.R. of which his Mother and sister is a member. Now used for meetings and storing of old pictures and furniture. Elizabeth G. Britton.
Artist: William J. Grimshaw (1854 - 1931)
Dates: 20th Century
Dimensions: 3.5" H x 5.5" W
Signature/Inscription: An old Time Residence. Staten Island, N.Y. Publ by W.J. Grimshaw; Front
Accession Number: WTD 3016
Credit: Gift of William T. Davis
Tags: 20th century, britton cottage, cedar grove avenue, cottage, daughters of the american revolution, edmond andros, elizabeth britton, house, nathaniel lord britton, new dorp, new dorp lane, obadiah holmes, postcard, staten island museum, william t. davis postcard collection